DMV Women’s Hockey is a grassroots initiative to connect and grow the hockey community for girls and women in the DC/Maryland/Virginia region. We aim to provide a model for how to build an inclusive hockey community where every girl and woman who wants to play hockey has the opportunity and resources to play at any level that they want. We focus on bringing hockey to new communities by pooling resources to lower barriers of access. Our long term goal is to provide a model for how to organize girls/women’s hockey in different regions across the United States.
History of DMV Women’s Hockey
- DMV Women’s Hockey came together in November 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- When regional hockey league play was canceled, a group of women all started attending the same pickup skates, hanging out in the parking lot after scrimmages, and forming friendships across different local teams.
- Grateful for the community that formed during the pandemic and with over 500+ women in the area playing hockey, we knew that we could build on the momentum generated and bring everyone together.
- Hosted the first annual DMV Women’s Hockey tournament in September 2021, including an All-Star Game and Give Hockey a Try Day — all of which raised over $1,000 for Black Girl Hockey Club.
- Partnered with the Washington Capitals on their ALL CAPS, ALL HER hockey platform.
- Started a monthly newsletter, DMV Women’s Hockey Wire, in March 2021 to streamline information and celebrate community wins.
- Hosted a Watch Party and Clinic for over 70 girls and women in the region to cheer on Team USA in the opening Olympic game.